- Flash/thumb drives for using in libraries and sharing or moving files
- A portable external hard drive for extra storage or backing up files
- A subscription to an online/cloud backup plan such as Backblaze or Carbonite
- Extra supplies for digital equipment: memory cards, batteries, portable mini-tripods
- A subscription to Ancestry, FindMyPast, Newspapers.com or any similar service
- A DNA testing kit (Choose one of the major companies: FamilyTree DNA, Ancestry, or 23andMe. Select the one that has the most people in its database that are similar to your recipient. The more people with the same background in the database, the more accurate the results.)
- A genealogy software program or an upgrade to an existing program
- Gift cards to the Apple App Store or Google Play Store or to the appropriate store for their particular smart phone or tablet so they can buy additional apps.
- Gift certificates to local community colleges or adult education sponsors for classes and practice in using technology
- Archival quality photo storage boxes or photo albums
- Acid-free photo mounting supplies and/or photo marking pens
- Acid free, archival quality sheet protectors and/or paper
- Good quality three or four-inch D-ring binders for storing copies of sheets and documents
- Gift certificates to St. Louis Genealogical Society (or other local historical/genealogical societies) for membership, publications, and/or special events
Almost all genealogists are book lovers and you can't go wrong with adding to their collections. Try some of these . . .
- Any of the QuickSheets by noted genealogist Elizabeth Shown Mills (or, better yet, her excellent book on source citations, Evidence Explained)
- The series of Genealogy at a Glance laminated booklets available in a variety of ethnicities: German, Irish, French, etc.
- Books on states of interest; for instance, any of the NGS Genealogy in the States series
- Books that are specific to areas of interest: neighborhoods, religions, occupations, or any other unique aspect of their family history