18 June 2018

Making Sense of DNA

(Our guest blogger, Fran Behrman, reminds us that we have a wonderful opportunity to learn from an expert at our Summer Speaker Series in July about the mysteries of DNA research.)

Father’s Day might have made us think about our paternal lines and how difficult it can sometimes be to know for sure that the man we have identified as a male ancestor really "planted the seed."

As I've worked on my own family's male (Y) DNA, I can tell you a couple of stories where DNA disproved male descent. I can also tell you it is a shock to receive such information! In fact, it presents a real dilemma. If you find such information, do you share with family members or do you not? I think we can all remember one or two shocks, positive or negative, we have found by doing genealogy.


We live in a time when science can indeed assist in our search for our heritage, and DNA can hopefully keep us on the correct path to our roots. My DNA results pretty much nailed my ethnic profile per the research that I have done, but there are still questions in my mind about the meaning of these results. For example, I am 26% western European, but my sister is 62%, my first cousin on my paternal line is 24%, and my first cousin on my maternal line is just 10%. Now what does that all mean? Shall I be doing an Irish jig, an English waltz, a Schuhplattler, or all of the above? Really, what do these results mean?

Well, StLGS will be assisting in furthering our knowledge of DNA on Saturday, 28 July 2018 at the Summer Speaker Series, Making Sense of DNA. Diahan Southard, well-known author, lecturer, and expert on deciphering DNA results, will present four lectures:
  1. "Let Your DNA Tell Your Story"
  2. "Five Tips to Make Sense of Your DNA"
  3. "Three Powerful Ways to Find Your Best Matches"
  4. "Connecting Your DNA Matches"
You can sign up for a day of learning on the StLGS website. Click here for more information and to register. Lunch is included with your registration, and directions to the Orlando Gardens location in Maryland Heights are on the website.

 It is my experience that every time I think I have as much information as I need to be successful at finding, discerning, and proving my lineage, I find that is not the case. There is always more, and, thank goodness, StLGS makes continuing education a priority.

So we shall rendezvous on the 28th of July to learn more about our DNA results and how to use them to further our research. Until then, hit the courthouses, libraries, cemeteries, and the Internet to keep digging into the past and the personal role your family has played!

See you in July,
Fran

No comments:

Post a Comment